loadrunner This is regarding the licensing and contracts....

• perf-test.com need your contributions to build up a strong repository of performance engineering resources.

K

Krishnakanth Pps

This is regarding the licensing and contracts. I have my application in Europe. My LR licenses are in US and are local licenses Can I use controller and LGs located in US to pump the load into the Europe application? I always thought that the it is the location of the controller and the LG's that are governed by the HP SLA's and not the location of the application. Please confirm. Also let me know if there is anything else that I need to check.

depends on the contract or software agreement you have with HP. Contact your legal team or HP Rep, they will help you figure this out... It won't be the same in all cases .. depends on the size and deal and contract points your company has with them.

I would agree with John, but most likely in your scenario you will need to consider upgrading to Performance Center. LoadRunner's geographical restrictions don't typically allow customers to test across multiple regions (Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific). Still, best to consult your HP account manager.

Upgrading to PC is presently not an option. So LR's licenses do talk about geographical restrictions of testing across locations?

I do not think there is any kind of issues on that! You remote into your LR Controller and execute the test on your application anywhere in the world, your application can be located anywhere geographically it does not matter. When you execute a test on WAN it just means your Load Test is sometimes not valid coz of Network issues.....

Actually, I know you can't remote into your Controller in such a scenario, and there are in fact limitations on where the app under test is located relative to your Controller. I happen to work for HP in this area... :D You will definitely want to talk to your account manager to verify what your license terms are before you proceed.

okies.. will get my account mgr talk to the HP account mgr.. thanks Shane Evans John Seling and Manik Sikka

Record the application and build you scenairos. Install Load Generators in Europe locations. The Controller will remain in the US. You can put Load Generators anywhere you want. The controller does not move.

@Brent :Does't look like I can install LG's in Europe. But All I am looking for answer is that whether my Local license stops me from hitting an application which is outside US. If commonsense is applied I should not have a problem, but is it same in the legal sense. I don't have direct contact with HP account mgr, so I am trying to gather thoughts from the experts.

@Brent, you might want to read those terms again or speak to your account manager. I won't get into details here, but I don't believe that approach is covered under the terms of the LoadRunner software agreement.

People using the Internet hit sites all around the world everyday. If I was planning a trip to the UK I would do research for lodging and other things. That is normal. I assume your application is a web based app, I would say creating a test to hit that app from your US location would be fine. But letting a tester remote into your server from the UK and perform testing is not the right thing to do. A local machine cannot be limited to where in the world a app is located. If I wanted to create testing to go to Paris.UK, from my local machine you are not doing anything that is illegal. If you are at the UK location, contact your testing team in the US and request them to perform the testing for you. Testers at the controller location in the US can create the tests and execute them per your request and return the results to you at your location.