• perf-test.com need your contributions to build up a strong repository of performance engineering resources.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 13, 2014
www.speforums.com
The competitive table was shared by a user and we are publishing it here. Below is what the gartner magic quadrant looks like for the APM space and looks like Dynatrace/App Dynamics and New relic leading from the front

upload_2016-3-31_16-43-13.png

AppDynamics

Technology Support : Java,.NET,PHP, server montoring

Advantages/Disadvantages:

1) Hybrid model-desktop/SAAS
2) Code Level-Diagnose & Eliminate problem.
3) Visualize app stack
4) Transaction Flow Map
5) Easiest to configure and use.​

Compuware Dynatrace

Technology Support : java,.NET,c,c++, , Server Monitoring

3) Visualize app stack
4) Transaction Flow Map
5) Industry Leader​

New Relic

Technology Support : java,.net, PHP,ruby,python, Cloud-AWS,AZURE, Server Monitoring

3) Visualize app stack
4) Transaction Flow Map​

CA Technologies

Technology Support : Java,.NET, Server Monitoring

1)Transcation tracing
2)Better Cloud-based montioring
3)end-user experience & browser res. Time monitoring
4)code-level deep dive with leveraged partnerships for multiple packaged applications (e.g., SAP, Tibco Software, IBM, Oracle and Software AG.
5)bundled with the base SAP Solution Manager
6) Comparatively Complex to manage and maintain.​

Please comment in case you find a discrepancy within the details.

I have used all the 4 APM tools mentioned here. CA APM used to be the best 3 - 4 years back, but not anymore. The enhancements they made over the last few years made it extremely complicated to use. For monitoring legacy applications (JAVA/.Net & 3 - 4 tier architecture) in production, I would suggest AppDynamics and Dynatrace AppMon. AppDynamics suites better for Large enterprises, and Dynatrace AppMon is a better fit for small and medium enterprises.

For new generation apps (cloud + container + microservices), NewRelic and Dynatrace SaaS (not Dynatrace AppMon) are the best. For ease of installation, maintenance and quick ROI - Dynatrace SaaS is better than NewRelic. For data harnessing, dashboards and reporting - NewRelic is much better than Dynatrace SaaS.

I have used all the 4 APM tools mentioned here. CA APM used to be the best 3 - 4 years back, but not anymore. The enhancements they made over the last few years made it extremely complicated to use. For monitoring legacy applications (JAVA/.Net & 3 - 4 tier architecture) in production, I would suggest AppDynamics and Dynatrace AppMon. AppDynamics suites better for Large enterprises, and Dynatrace AppMon is a better fit for small and medium enterprises.

For new generation apps (cloud + container + microservices), NewRelic and Dynatrace SaaS (not Dynatrace AppMon) are the best. For ease of installation, maintenance and quick ROI - Dynatrace SaaS is better than NewRelic. For data harnessing, dashboards and reporting - NewRelic is much better than Dynatrace SaaS.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi Rejith,
I am new into the performance eng and wanted to learn APM tool like Appdynamics,Dynatrace.
Could you share some documents/video/useful links, which can be use to step in into the APM Tool as beginner to expert.

Thanks alot for your time in adv.

Regards,
Avish